sept.25 fences

 Prompt: Troy's complaint about the unfair job system shows his frustration with racial discrimination. How did this conversation make you think about fairness and opportunity in society today? If you were in Troy's position, what would you do?


Response

Troy’s frustration with the job system highlights how systemic barriers can make hard work feel pointless. It made me realize that "fairness" isn't just about everyone having the same rules; it’s about everyone having the same starting line, which clearly didn't exist for him. If I were in his position, I think I would try to find a way to channel that anger into something productive for my kids, like helping them get the education or opportunities I was denied, rather than letting my bitterness turn into a wall that pushes them away.


Summary

The conversation around Troy’s job struggles emphasizes the difference between merit and opportunity. While Troy worked hard, the racial discrimination of his era acted as a ceiling he couldn't break through. This highlights that in any society, true fairness requires not just the freedom to work, but the actual chance to succeed based on that effort.


Reflection

Thinking about this, I’ve realized that it’s easy to tell people to "just work harder," but that advice ignores the reality of structural obstacles. Troy’s story taught me that when people feel like the system is rigged against them, it can lead to a deep sense of hopelessness that affects every other part of their lives. It made me reflect on how important it is to advocate for equal opportunities today, so that people’s potential isn't wasted just because of where they come from or the barriers placed in their path.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Girl Aug.21

sept.8 Fences book

Seot.4 Mask reflection