sept.8 Fences book
Prompt: In Fences, the fence is a physical object, but it can also represent the emotional or personal barriers people create. Think about a “fence” you have built in your own life. What were you trying to keep out or protect yourself from? Did that fence help you or hold you back? Explain.
Response
In Fences, the fence is basically a metaphor for the walls we build to protect ourselves. I’ve definitely built my own "fence" by acting like I don’t care about anything. I used to be super sarcastic and distant whenever things got serious because I was terrified of people actually seeing who I am or judging me. I thought if I kept everyone at a distance, they couldn't hurt me.
Reflection
Looking back, I realize that my "fence" was just a way to hide my insecurity. It felt safe at the time because I didn't have to worry about being vulnerable or getting rejected. But honestly, it just made me feel lonely. I was so focused on keeping people out that I didn't realize I was actually just trapping myself in my own head. It kept me from being real with my friends and stopped me from being myself.
Summary
In the end, my fence did way more harm than good. It might have protected me from some awkwardness, but it held me back from making real connections. I’m learning that while it’s normal to want to protect yourself, you can’t let those walls become a prison. Sometimes you have to take the fence down if you actually want to grow and let people in.
Comments
Post a Comment