Aug.31 single story

 Reflect on a time when you discovered a new perspective that completely changed how you viewed a person, group, or place. How did your previous “single story” shape your thoughts or actions?


Response

I used to think a kid in my grade was just "the quiet, weird one" because he never talked in class and always sat alone. I assumed he was stuck-up or just didn't want to be friends with anyone. Then, we got paired up for a massive history project, and I found out he was actually dealing with a lot of family stuff at home and used his quiet time to write incredible music. My "single story" of him being antisocial was totally wrong; he was just dealing with things I knew nothing about.

Summary

I judged someone based on a lack of information, assuming his silence meant he was unfriendly. Once I actually talked to him, I realized his behavior had nothing to do with me and everything to do with his own complex life.

Reflection

This really changed how I treat people. It’s so easy to label someone based on one trait, but that’s never the whole picture. I learned that everyone is fighting a battle you can’t see, and it’s better to be curious and kind than to jump to conclusions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Girl Aug.21

sept.8 Fences book

Seot.4 Mask reflection