Prompt: In “Girl” by Jamaica Kincaid, the mother provides her daughter with numerous expectations about how a girl should behave. Reflect on a specific gender expectation within your culture that has been challenging for you to navigate. Then describe one clear example of this expectation and explain why it has been difficult for you. Keep your response concise, vivid, and focused on your personal experience. Response : In high school, there is a huge pressure for guys to act like they don’t care about school. If you study hard or get excited about a grade, people call you a “try-hard” or a “nerd.” It’s difficult because I actually want to do well, but I’m constantly worried that if I show how much effort I’m putting in, my friends will think I’m weird or uncool. Summary The “effortless” expectation makes students feel like they have to hide their hard work to avoid being judged by their peers. Reflection It’s frustrating that we’re taught to value success but punished for showing...
Prompt: In Fences , the fence is a physical object, but it can also represent the emotional or personal barriers people create. Think about a “fence” you have built in your own life. What were you trying to keep out or protect yourself from? Did that fence help you or hold you back? Explain. Response In Fences, the fence is basically a metaphor for the walls we build to protect ourselves. I’ve definitely built my own "fence" by acting like I don’t care about anything. I used to be super sarcastic and distant whenever things got serious because I was terrified of people actually seeing who I am or judging me. I thought if I kept everyone at a distance, they couldn't hurt me. Reflection Looking back, I realize that my "fence" was just a way to hide my insecurity. It felt safe at the time because I didn't have to worry about being vulnerable or getting rejected. But honestly, it just made me feel lonely. I was so focused on keeping people out that I didn...
Prompt: After watching your classmates present their identity masks, think about how people are often more complex than what we see on the outside. What did the presentations teach you about looking beyond the surface when getting to know someone? Response Watching my classmates’ mask presentations really surprised me. It’s easy to judge people based on how they look or act in the hallway, but the masks showed me that everyone has a whole other side to them. I saw people I thought I knew well reveal things about their struggles and passions that I never would have guessed. It made me realize that what we see on the outside is only a tiny part of who someone actually is. Summary This activity showed that everyone is much more complex than they appear. By sharing our "inner selves" through our masks, we learned that you can’t truly understand someone until you look past their surface-level appearance and social labels. Reflection Reflection.This project taught me to be more c...
Comments
Post a Comment