Prompt: In “Girl” by Jamaica Kincaid, the mother provides her daughter with numerous expectations about how a girl should behave. Reflect on a specific gender expectation within your culture that has been challenging for you to navigate. Then describe one clear example of this expectation and explain why it has been difficult for you. Keep your response concise, vivid, and focused on your personal experience. Response : In high school, there is a huge pressure for guys to act like they don’t care about school. If you study hard or get excited about a grade, people call you a “try-hard” or a “nerd.” It’s difficult because I actually want to do well, but I’m constantly worried that if I show how much effort I’m putting in, my friends will think I’m weird or uncool. Summary The “effortless” expectation makes students feel like they have to hide their hard work to avoid being judged by their peers. Reflection It’s frustrating that we’re taught to value success but punished for showing...
Describe a time when you felt completely lost. Response: A time I felt completely lost was when I lost my papa in 2023. I was going into grade 6th around the time I got the news and was devastated. My papa was one of the people I love the most. Him passing made me feel sad and depressed at a young age. My grades started slipping, I started to not care anymore. I knew I couldn’t live like that and at me point raised my head up and got my life together for him and I plan on doing the best I can at anything I do for him . Summary: The passing of my papa caused me to feel lost and sad . Relection: After a while I decided to do better for my papa and myself
Write about a time when you did something out of the norm. What was it and how did others react? Response I decided to go a whole week without my phone or social media, using a paper map and a notebook instead of Google Maps or texting. Summary I wanted to see if I could actually survive without being glued to my screen 24/7 and focus on what was happening right in front of me. Reflection My friends thought I was being super extra and were honestly kind of annoyed they couldn't reach me. It made me realize how addicted we all are to our phones, and even though it was weird at first, it was actually kind of nice to just disconnect for a bit.
Comments
Post a Comment